Saturday, August 11, 2007

Small World After All

We're on the plane flying over Minneapolis, and I must admit that it feels good to be home. When I was leaving the airport today in Seoul, I could not help but notice a weird feeling inside of me. After 3 weeks in Asia, I had gotten used to the regular old schedule of waking up early, performing, traveling, and staying in hotels.I had also gotten used to the foods, smells, and sounds of a world that only a month ago was so foreign and strange. Did I even remember the way normal life worked? What did a hamburger taste like? Homework? What is that? There are so many things that I will have to re-adjust to, but that’s ok. If you can get used to China, the United States will be a piece of cake.

By now we have just crossed over to Wisconsin, and knowing that the end is near I guess that I should consider any knowledge or wisdom that I have gained from this trip. While I have learned and observed many different things, I think there is one big concept that we all can take home from this trip.The truth is that China and South Korea really are not that different from the U.S. Ok, I know what you are thinking. In the U.S., fish balls are not a part of our diet, and we do not ride our bikes from our home to Wrigley Field, but look at the greater picture. The details may be different but everyone’s goals are remarkably similar.When I stayed in my two home stays, it was obvious to me that my host family had many of the same concerns and values that my own family had millions of miles away.They valued education, family time, health, and a safe home environment. Yes, while “family time,” with my host family was going to an underground pool hall with a bunch of teenage rebels, which might be very different from what the Fatums would do on a Saturday night, the goal of going out and having fun is exactly the same.

In a time when so many parts of the world seem shockingly foreign, strange, and even dangerous, it is important to remember that most families around the world share the same fundamental values as you and me. While there may be different economic, governmental, or societal barriers that impede a person from achieving these goals in different cultures, we all strive for the same things. It really is a small world after all.As human beings we each have our own stories, and I am happy to be adding such an exciting chapter to my own growing story! This has been a fantastic experience, and I cannot wait to be a part of the next MYA trip!
Michael F.