Sunday, August 05, 2007

Ren Min University High School

We arrived at the Ren Min High School and were immediately led to a huge computer lab and told to check our email by the director of the school. The room was soon filled with 123 smiling faces as everyone logged in to their email accounts and caught up on news from home.

After checking our email one of our jazz combos performed for members of the school and then it was time to meet our host families. The staff of Ren Min tried their best to match our students with their students close to our age, the same sex and with the same instrument we play.


Kathy A.
The initial thoughts that flooded my mind when I found out about the home stays were apprehensive worries about cultural misunderstandings and trust. When we pulled into the parking lot my worries were immediately replaced by excitement. I felt honored that the community women were fan dancing for us and actually taught us the footwork. That night in the villas was one of the most fun and memorable experiences of the trip. The authentic food was delicious and I loved dancing in the square during the jazz concert. All of the community members were sources of pure intentions and warm hearts. After one shower in the villa, I have a deeper appreciation for the luxury of a shower curtain and a constant flow of warm water.

My home stay in Beijing was a very different experience than the villas, but a pleasant one. My host, Fiona and her family, were very generous and eager to learn from me as well. In the taxi to her house from the school I met her friend, Lily. It was funny when the taxi driver asked me what time of day it is appropriate to say “good evening”. Fiona’s father is a neurologist so his family lives in an apartment adjacent to the hospital within a gated community. The house was exquisite with a kitchen, two bathrooms, a living room and four bedrooms. We ate dinner at a Korean barbeque restaurant and then went shopping at the Chinese super market. Later we returned home to surf the Internet and listen to Fiona’s favorite American singer, Carrie Underwood. I learned a lot about her interest in politics and the differences between the American and Chinese school systems. When I left she had yet to work on the six diverse projects assigned as her summer homework. I know that Fiona and I will continue to communicate through email!

Both home stays were spectacular opportunities that I thoroughly appreciated!


Andrea Sterenstein
The home stays were a wonderful experience. My family in the villa was very difficult to communicate with because there wasn’t anyone in the family who spoke good English, or who even understood the real basic English we were speaking to them. At first I was getting a bit frustrated due to the difficulty my roommates and I were faced with. In the end and later throughout that night, however, I chose to take the more wise and optimistic approach and realized that this huge communication barrier only added to my home stay experience, making it more unique and in the end, more enjoyable.

My second home stay was also a wonder experience. It showed me a totally different lifestyle than my first home stay. Both home stays were truly unique and very fun. I’m very happy we had the opportunity to do them. Thank you so much for planning this entire trip. It has been nothing short of amazing. Thanks for everything you have done – you have really showed me just how powerful music can be in my life and I’m very grateful for this.


Jasmine Lee
Home stay experience - so cool!! The first one really exceeded my expectations (I thought we were going to stay on a farm…Moo!) The public square with the playground was cool. I liked the springy balance beam. The jazz dancing was an experience (the villa ladies did a fan dance…unexpected, but again, pleasant. The house was really nice - western toilets with toilet paper…ENOUGH said!! The shower was interesting…right next to the toilet. But, the food was SO YUMMY! I would have had a sick gorge fest if I weren’t feeling so icky (missed opportunity). It was very hot, but I’m really glad I did it.

My second home stay was also so cool! The home was really big and all wooden. I think they were rich. If communism is supposed to be that no one is so much richer than all, why are there so obvious discrepancies in wealth everywhere? Serious pondering aside – wow! It felt like an American house (says the privileged westerner). The food for dinner was live fresh seafood. I saw a stingray and a tiny shark and I think I ate a crab’s brain, but all was good. Freshly squeezed mango juice!! Yum! But then, the next morning…hot soymilk – an experience, for sure. The host’s oldest daughter studies English, so she had two bookcases filled with books (Harry Potter 1-7). I learned hot to play LIFE and MONOPOLY. The slideshow that showed off the RMF2 School was really intimidating, but everyone turned out to be really nice. The language barrier was less than I had anticipated, so actual understanding commenced. Overall, thumbs up all around!
(Home stay + food = best of trip so far). We still have Korea to go!!

Elisabeth O.
My new Chinese friend took me shopping. I bought a skirt and earrings. We hung out at her house and went on the computer. Later we went out to a good dinner. She plays clarinet and hopes she'll be get to come to Chicago in December with her orchestra. They have to audition to see who gets to go on the trip. I'm hoping she'll get to come and stay with me. In the meantime we exchanged emails.


Patrick A. Pearson
My host family experience was quite pleasant. I had the pleasure of staying with Wing Ho, the Orchestra Director, along with Dr. D, Mrs. D, the Lee twins and Jackie Reilly. We cleaned up at the penthouse suite to be later treated with the most amazing dinner. We went to a famous restaurant with private rooms. We (Maestro & myself) chose the various entrees in the massive fish market. I counted 39 different dishes that made their way to the lazy susan. It was indeed a pleasure to be treated with the utmost respect and hospitality. China has been a wonderful and interesting country to visit. I’m glad we had the opportunity to make this a true exchange.

Billy T.
I ate dinner then went swimming and played my trumpet.

Richard D.
Wonderful people who were extremely nice and thoughtful. We had great home cooked food.

Rian W.
It was a fantastic experience with great people. Very unique and fun – very authentic.

Theresa P.
Had Peking duck (of course) and went to watch a Tae-kwon-do class where the instructor performed some Tai chi at the end. Very lovely experience.


Dr. Dennis
We had a fabulous Chinese dinner in a huge restaurant, complete with private dinner room, an arboretum in the center with a stream and goldfish and a huge room filled with fish tanks where you could pick out your dinner.

Eric B.
I had Chinese roast duck dinner (like almost everyone else) followed by a ride in a large tricycle – driver + 2 passengers – around the old allies and streets of Beijing.

Dan B.
We played our instruments for each other and then played basketball.

David
I ate the best meal ever, Peking duck!


James R.
I ate a nice home-cooked meal and then went shopping for a ping-pong paddle and badminton birdies. We kind of communicated in Chinese + English.