Monday, July 30, 2007

More about Shanghai


July 28, 2007
Last night, those who did not play the jazz concert at the hotel had the option to attend a performance of the Shanghai Acrobats. During this spectacular show, acrobats performed gravity- and death-defying stunts that stunned audience members. The show was reminiscent of Cirque du Soleil, but that’s the closest comparison I can make for anyone who wasn’t there.

Our very entertaining guide, Vivien, has helped to dispel some myths about the Chinese people. She told us that despite popular belief, not every Chinese person can do kung fu. She also explained that kung fu is just slightly different from what we see in the movies. Vivien further reminded us that if she could fly, she wouldn’t be a tour guide.

This morning we depart for Suzhou, which is supposed to be one of the most beautiful cities in China. Shanghai surprised me with its modernity. It’s like the New York City of China. During our stay in Shanghai, I really didn’t feel like I was in a foreign country. As we progress further into the country, though, the architecture will change and we’ll see more of what we recognize as traditional Chinese culture.
Caroline

China is great! I have already lost 5 lbs!!!! I’m really glad I brought my belt. Anyways, the first concert we played was amazing. The concert hall was dead, but the brass still made the concert very loud! We ended up playing an encore twice because the Chinese people really liked us. I am having fun here making new friends and embracing the culture. I am sure the best is yet to come. GO CUBS!!!!!!
Billy

Hello MYA’s blog o’ sphere. This is T.J. signing on…So far the trip as been action packed with Shang-hai-noons and nights. The shear size of Shanghai absolutely blew my mind. Up until this point in my somewhat short life I have considered Chicago “big” but my concept of that term just changed. It literally felt like there were 12-15 Chicago’s wrapped up in the skyline of China’s most populated city. I was shocked by how many skyscrapers pierced the smoggy sky and how each one was unique and beautiful in its own way. I look forward to visiting the future cities of the tour and am curious to see how they compare to the urban vibe of Shanghai. The musical experience thus far has been brief but positive. We had our first and only orchestral concert on Thursday evening (I think-still thrown off by the time change) at the Shanghai Concert Hall in downtown Shanghai. The audience was robust and really seemed to enjoy our program of Chinese Folk Songs, Bernstein’s Overture to Candid, Copland’s Appalachian Spring, and Tchaikovsky’s Symphony no. 5. After concluding the concert we even had the pleasure of performing Sousa’s bombastically American march “Washington Post” as an encore (twice). Everyone has been in great spirits and it has truly been a fun-loving and curious group. We can’t wait for more experiences and performances. Talk to you a little later down the Silk Road….